A delicious trifle, which uses T2's Strawberries and Cream loose leaf tea. Recipe courtesy of T2.
A tasty take on trifle, which uses T2’s Strawberries and Cream loose leaf tea in the jelly.
For Jelly Layer:
- 20 Teaspoons Strawberries & Cream
- 640ml boiling water, plus 750ml boiling water, divided
- 3 packets unflavoured jelly
- 2 punnets strawberries, tops and removed and halve
- 500ml milk
- 180ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scrapped
- 8 egg yolks
- 180g caster sugar
For Cake Layer:
- 130g unsalted butter
- 130g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 130g self-raising flour
- 6 tablespoons milk
For Cream Layer:
- 500ml thick cream
- Handful of strawberries
- Handful of raspberries
- Fresh rosemary
- Make the jelly layer. Infuse Strawberries & Cream in 640 ml/21.6 fl oz boiling water for 30 minutes then remove the infuser. Add 3 packets unflavoured jelly to 750 ml/25.5 fl oz boiling water and stir until dissolved. Add the brewed Strawberries & Cream and stir well. In a trifle bowl, add the fresh strawberries to the bottom, spreading out into one layer. Slowly add the jelly mixture, then transfer to the fridge to set.
- Make the sponge cake. Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F and grease and line a square baking tin. Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs until well incorporated. Sift the flour, then fold in using a large metal spoon. Fold through the milk, then transfer mixture to the prepared tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make the custard. Place the milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and gently heat until just simmering. Turn off the heat and stand for 10 minutes. Whisk together egg yolks and caster sugar, then gently whisk in the milk mixture. Add slowly to avoid cooking the eggs. Whisk well, then return to the saucepan and heat gently on a very low heat for a few minutes until custard coats the back of the spoon. Remove the vanilla bean, cover with a lid and leave to cool.
- Whip the cream using an electric mixer until thick.
- Assemble the trifle. Spoon the cooled custard onto the set jelly. Cut the sponge cake into cubes, then arrange on top of the custard. Top with the whipped cream and decorate with strawberries, raspberries and rosemary.